Holster Draw Certification
Holster Draw Certification
As always, safety is of paramount concern and even though the easy road would be to just say “no”, we are excited to offer this opportunity to qualified applicants so that they can further their abilities and enjoyment.
Any applicant may sign up for a “Holster Draw” certification course and have an opportunity to qualify to draw from Outside The Waistband (OWB)/Inside The Waistband (IWB) and with or without cover garments. After successful completion of classroom instruction and skill assessment on the range, customers may begin to draw from a holster on their next visit to The Range St. Louis West.
This is a certification only, not a class on how to draw your gun
Needed to complete skill assessment:
- OWB/IWB holster (see rules)
- Properly functioning handgun
- Minimum of 2 magazines
- Minimum of 50 rounds
- Eye Protection
- Ear Protection
Paying for the Holster Draw certification does not guarantee that you will receive the certification. The certification is earned by successful completion of the classroom portion, demonstrating your ability to safely draw your firearm, engage your target, re-holster your firearm, as well as your ability to operate within the rules set forth by The Range St. Louis West. This class DOES NOT teach you how to draw a firearm from a holster properly. If you fail the assessment, you may attempt another qualification within 30 days of successful completion of classroom for an additional $20 per attempt. After a 30 day period has elapsed, full class must be taken if holster draw certification is desired. Remedial training via private lesson, may be provided at an additional cost.
- Holster qualification is good for one year (12 months) after successful completion of required course.
- You must inform RSO at range counter that you would like to draw from holster.
- RSO will verify level of qualification and issue a “Holster Certified” placard to display on lane.
- Holster must be in good working condition and properly fit your firearm. (determined by RSO)
- Holster must maintain its shape while firearm is removed.
- Strong side/hand holsters ONLY (No Cross draw, ankle holster, shoulder holster, pocket holster, etc).
- Must be able to re-holster firearm with strong hand only.
- Holsters must be securely and properly mounted in place.
- Holsters that require use of trigger finger to release active retention of a firearm will not be permitted.
- Holster qualification is only good for the standing position.
- All equipped safeties/decockers must be properly utilized.
- Any holster, even in an approved position, that requires the shooter to muzzle others will not be permitted.
- Gear check before each range visit is required.
- Holster Certified placard must be displayed anytime you are drawing from a holster.
- If a shooter is found to be unsafe on the range, the RSO may ask shooter to make correction, come back a different day, or may revoke certification if necessary.
- If shooter feels revocation was un-necessary, they must challenge within 7 days. Management will review video and make final decision.
- Shooter may only draw from approved position as indicated on their assessment.
- Full course completion will be required for expired/revoked certifications if you would like to continue to draw from a holster.
- If you fail the evaluation there is a $20 fee for re-evaluation within 30 days. After 30 days, full course must be taken.
- Availability to draw from holster may be turned on/off at any time during the day.
- Rules are subject to change at any time.
- All standard range rules apply.
This is currently only available to our members, if you are a member and would like to sign up for this qualification, please call, email or stop in to register.
Phone: 636-220-1300 (option 3)
If you would like to sign up for a membership, we would love to have you join the family: https://therangestl.com/membership/